Book Review: Vengeance

Vengeance (Fracture #2)
Published By: Walker Childrens
Publication Date: February 4, 2014
Page Count: 352
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal, Thriller

Vengeance was a bit of a let down after the brilliance of Fracture. I was so looking forward to Decker and Delany gracing the pages before me again, and the disappointment I felt when they spent most of the book ignoring each other was bitter. 

Vengeance sees the death of Carson overshadow virtually everything. All that the characters can see is those they have lost; a friend, a brother, a loved one. Everyone is hurting, and everyone chooses to blame Delaney. Whether it is because they think she is cursed, or that they know better, and have some idea of her abilities, she suffers. But while she suffers, she is understanding and quite un-teen-like. She doesn't get mad, she just bears everyone's resentment. 

I found most of Vengeance lacking in pace. The characters skulk around each other, things happen which some decide equates to a curse. They think the lake is coming to get them, because they saved Delaney from it. I know that paranoia and loss can do odd things to a mind, but I found that whole concept just ridiculous. Every time something happened that related to water, and Decker felt the rising panic of the lake "speaking to him", I had to take a breath. 

I felt sympathetic to the characters, but really I didn't relate to any of them this time. I had felt so connected to Delany in Fracture, that this really became quite disappointing. Hysteria, the other (unrelated) book by Megan Miranda also dealt with the things that the mind can create of its own accord, and I think there was a heavy influence of that book on Vengeance. I wish it wasn't so. 



Falcon Lake wants vengeance. And so, it seems, does someone else . . . An intense, heart-rending psychological thriller to accompany the chilling and seductive Fracture

When Decker drags his best friend Delaney’s lifeless body out of the frozen lake, he makes a deal: Anyone but her. Everyone but her. The lake releases her. It takes another . . .

All their friends blame Delaney for Carson’s death. But Decker knows the truth: Delaney is drawn to those who are dying, and she would have tried to help Carson.

Or so Decker believes until a body lies in front of him in a pool of water on his kitchen floor. Until he sees in Delaney’s eyes that she knew this would happen too – and she said nothing. Until he realises it isn’t the lake that is looking for revenge – Delaney is part of someone else’s plan.

This powerful and emotionally charged psychological thriller follows Megan Miranda’s stunning debut Fracture.

Comments

  1. I wasn't that wowed by Fracture, and based on your review, I'm glad I decided not to read on.

    Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!